Sunday 25 March 2007

Hotel Maya

I've stayed in quite a lot of hotels in my time, and certainly in the last year with work. Hotels, like girls, come in all shapes and sizes, some cheap and some classy, some not worth even a night, others worth a whole week. Usually with work, the hotels are pretty decent 4 star affairs, with a swimming pool, bar, restaurant and alright location. One time I had a three bedroom suite, with two levels, all to myself, and the most recent one in Kuantan was a resort hotel on the beach.

But now, the hotel I'm staying at in Kuala Lumpur on my day's holiday before going home, is the best yet. It was booked and paid for by me, and I've outdone myself. This is simply the best hotel I've ever stayed at.

It's called the Hotel Maya and is situated smack bang in the city centre. It has genuine style, dark wood and glass with all the right curves and angles, but has the substance to match it. It's got all the obvious things a good hotel room should have (but often doesn't), like big TV, DVD player, broadband internet for free, stupidly big bed, but also has the other less obvious things that a seasoned hotel veteran requires: free coffee, free water, iron and ironing board, kettle, and they even surprised me by supplying an umbrella, which I've already put to use.

In my enthusiasm for this hotel, I've taken some photos that I'd like to share with you.

This is the room as you first see it. Observe the style, confidence and calm.


The desk is particularly impressive, as it can be slid along to suit your personal taste. Thoughtfully, as seen centre top of the picture, a plug adaptor is supplied for those without the three pinned plugs. Top right is a case containing all the information you might require about the hotel.


This reclining chair is a masterstroke. For not only is it ideal for resting on and viewing the city through the wall-to-wall window, but it amply demonstrates the implicit understanding of style from whoever designed this room. Because it's pink! In a room of cream and dark browns, this is a bright pink chair, and it works perfectly.


The view from my window - the KL Menara Tower. I can also see a children's school and playground, lots of trees and some pretty buildings surrounding a courtyard. Other rooms will have a view of the Petronas Twin Towers.


This is my room as seen when standing by the window. You'll immediately notice the room and the bathroom are only separated by glass, although there is the option of drawing a curtain across for privacy. This makes the room seem more spacious, and much brighter.


The shower has wooden flooring, a stool if all the standing tires you, and the option of a handheld nozzle or water from vertically above.


Yet more style. Soaps on offer include "Sandalwood & Oatmeal Scrub Soap" and "Honey & Oatmeal Scrub Soap". The latter, I believe, can also be eaten for breakfast.


A poor photo, I'm afraid. This is of the side of the TV cabinet, which opens out to reveal a coffee machine and a fridge. It took me half an hour to figure out the coffee machine, but then, I'm particularly stupid when it comes to these kind of things. It turned out my main mistakes were not filling it with water, and accidently turning the dial controlling the amount of coffee poured to virtually zero.

2 comments:

swishfish said...

Very impressive. My best-ever hotel is the Mandarin Oriental in the same city. On my way up the lift after checking in they radioed up to the cleaner, so that when I walked past them in the corridor on the way to my room, they said "welcome to Kuala Lumpur, Mr Green". And when you go out in the evening for dinner, they pull the curtains, dim the lights, make the bed (pulling back the covers so you don't have to), lay out your dressing gown, and pour you a bottle of water. And the room had 3 phone lines!

It's all these little touches that turn a good hotel into a great hotel. I certainly didn't pay what you would expect to for a world-class hotel in London or New York, and I bet you didn't either.

Nev 360 said...

Just £60 a night, the icing on a very fine cake.